Saturday, January 5, 2013

ACTIVITIES - PARTS OF SPEECH - NOUNS


  1. UNDERLINE the NOUNS in the following passage:
The new student approached the compulsory subject with caution. The outline stated that she would have to study grammar and punctuation. She vaguely recalled lessons in primary school on naming and doing words. Now she wished she had concentrated more in class and prayed there would not be an exam.

      2. UNDERLINE the words in bold that are nouns.
  • Her face showed anger as she turned towards her husband. 'I can't face my mother after I lied to her.'
  • There's no need to hurry.
  • I need to know the facts.
  • Did you notice anything different about me?
  • The tenant was given notice to leave the premises.
  • She looks like her sister.
  • If looks could kill!
  • Magic tricks baffle me.
  • She tried to rekindle the magic of their courtship.
      3. UNDERLINE the correct type for each NOUN in bold.

I hate eggs (concrete/abstract). My mum (concrete/proper) made me eat them when I was little. She'd tell me an exciting story (common/proper) about the Germans (common/proper) dropping bombs on London (common/proper). I'd open my mouth (common/proper) in amazement (concrete/abstract) and she'd shove in a spoonful of runny egg. Omelettes (common/proper) were worse. Mum (common/proper) would try to trick me by hiding the egg inside, but I soon learned to pull the omelette apart and pick out the egg. I would still rather eat a bunch (collective/abstract) of spinach (collective/concrete) than an egg.

      4.WRITE sentences containing the following types of nouns and UNDERLINE each one.

  • One common and one proper noun.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • One abstract noun and one concrete noun.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Two abstract nouns.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • One collective noun and one common noun.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comment. All feedback welcome!