Friday, May 23, 2014

OTHELLO - SHAKESPEARE - PLAY - ANALYSIS OF ACT 111, SCENE 111 - OTHELLO'S SPEECH TO IAGO

Ironically, Iago is proving he is 'honest' Iago. He is filling Othello's mind with unfounded suspicions of his wife, Desdemona.

What does Othello's speech reveal about Othello's dilemma? How does he prevaricate?

If you're not familiar with this scene, go to the play and read it in context.

'By the world,
I think my wife be honest, and think she is not;
I think that thou art just, and think thou art not.
I'll have some proof. My name, that was as fresh
As Dian's* visage, is now begrimed and black
As mine own face. If there be cords, or knives,
Poison, or fire, or suffocating streams,
I'll not endure it. Would I were satisfied!'

*Diana - goddess of the moon and of chastity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comment. All feedback welcome!